One day before the ‘big match’ against Chelsea, 7 May 2011 at 6 pm, all the first team of MANCHESTER UNITED gathered on the club’s home ground for a special occasion: the launching ceremony of KING POWER RED DEVIL, the third edition of the official Manchester United timepiece by Swiss luxury watchmaker, HUBLOT. This is to pay homage to the legendary football club – founded in 1878, having won 19 league titles, four League Cups, a record 11 FA Cups, and three UEFA Champions League trophies, as well as highlighting the committed partnership between Manchester United and Hublot since 2008. At the hallowed turf of Old Trafford, Jean Claude-Biver, the CEO of Hublot Company presented the watches to Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Javier “Chicarito” Hernandez, Dimitar Berbatov, Paul Scholes, Nemanja Vidic, Michael Owen, Edwin Van Der Sar, Park Ji Sung and others.
Sir Alex Ferguson, Wayne Rooney, Patrice Evra, Rafael, Rio Ferdinand, Fabio, Park Ji Sung, Javier “Chicarito” Hernandez, Jean Claude-Biver, with the Man Utd - Hublot kids
Wayne Rooney (front) wears the Official Manchester United Watch Hublot King Power Red Devil with Patric Evra (behind)
Distinguished from the previous versions, the new series includes the real blades of grass from Old Trafford in its design. Picked and preserved by the club’s grounds-men especially for making this limited edition watches, the grass were stabilized by Hublot for six months. The long development process was to maintain the grasses’ original color as well as protect them against UV and temperature differences. The freeze-dried blades of grass were then inserted into the indexes through an all-new way before they were coated with a special transparent lacquer to secure them permanently. The natural grass-green-colored indexes are the focal point of the timepiece as well as to mark the Old Trafford’s more than one hundred year-old turf (the Theatre of Dreams – scene of so many victories, so much thrill and effort – has been the United’s permanent residence since1910).
Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson (left) bring King Power Red Devil Watch with Old Trafford’s Grass and Hublot CEO, Jean Claude-Biver (right)
Likewise, distinguished from other same model of King Power, this Hublot Manchester United 3rd Edition Watch is equipped for the first time with two centre chrono hands: one indicates the seconds while another – specially developed for football (soccer) – indicates the time elapsed out of the 45 minutes in each half. This new design of King Power’s chronograph movement provides better readability – quicker and more efficient, allowing the wearer to keep track of both hands at a glance.
The revamped designs on King Power model also includes its two push-buttons which are now protected by a little safety bar in either side of the crown. Also, in a final reference to the legendary club and bringing a last aesthetic touch to the piece, the black rubber strap has a red line in the centre, directly inspired by Manchester United’s graphic charter.
Produced in 500 numbered pieces for the micro-blasted black ceramic case – 48 mm in diameter – and in 250 pieces for the King Gold 18k version, THE 3RD EDITION OFFICIAL MANCHESTER UNITED WATCH: HUBLOT KING POWER RED DEVIL comes with a certificate guaranteeing its authenticity, signed personally by the living legend manager Sir Alex Ferguson.
Founded in 1980 by Carlo Croco, Hublot is best known for its close links to sports such as baseball, basketball, skiing, football (soccer), yacht race, F1 race and polo.
Technical Details of Hublot King Power Red Devil – the third edition of Official Manchester United Watch:
- Reference: 716.CI.1129.RX.MAN11; 716.OM.1129.RX.MAN11
- Series: Limited to 500 pieces for the micro-blasted version, Numbered from No. 01/500 to No. 500/500; Limited to 250 pieces for the King Gold 18K version, Numbered from No. 01/250 to No. 250/250
- Case: “King Power”, diameter 48 mm; Micro-blasted black ceramic or King Gold 18K
- Bezel: Micro-blasted black ceramic or circular satin-finished ceramic with black rubber moulding; 6 H-shaped relief black PVD titanium screws
- Crystal: Sapphire with interior/exterior anti-reflective treatment
- Bezel lug: Black composite resin
- Lateral inserts: Black composite resin with push-piece guard at 3 o’clock.
- Case-back: Micro-blasted black ceramic or circular satin-finished King Gold 18K
- Crown: Black PVD steel, with black rubber insert
- Push-piece: Black PVD steel with black and red rubber moulding
- Water resistance: 10 ATM or approximately 100 metres
- Dial: Sapphire, indexes made from grass from the hallowed turf of Manchester United’s Old Trafford stadium, date window at 4 o’clock, Red Devil logo at 3 o’clock.
- Hands: Satin-finished, black nickel with red luminescent coating
- Movement: HUB4245 skeleton chronograph with central 45’ counter; Automatic self-winding
- Bridges: Micro-blasted & bevelled, with black galvanic coating
- Screws: Steel, polished & locked
- Oscillating weight: Monobloc in heavy metal with ceramic ball bearings
- Main plate: Micro-blasted with black galvanic coating
- Barrel: With reinforced spring
- Escapement: Swiss lever escapement with silicon pallet fork and escapement wheel
- Power Reserve: 72 hours
- Wristlet: Adjustable black rubber strap
- Clasp: Black PVD titanium deployant buckle; Decorative plate in micro-blasted black ceramic or King Gold 18K